Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Why and How - use recipes wise to save money and time

I love cooking, and I believe the recipe is the most magical form of literature.

It used to be written down on a piece of paper, or given down through word of mouth. Nowadays, We get recipes from all kinds of sources: family, friends, magazines, websites, and even from a box of cereals. Some of them are lifetime treasures, and some of them are simply great. However, Some of them come with beautiful staged photos, and some of them come with the ingredients long enough to make a necktie.

As you already know, free recipe usually comes with a price unless it is from your own circle of trust! I ended up with a pantry full of ingredients that are rarely used and too painful to throw away. Time for a change, isn't it?

First of all, based on how much time I have, I get new recipe only once or twice a month from the Internet. To get the most use of the recipes, I use the "ingredient search" to narrow down the recipes that use the basic pantry items in my kitchen. If the recipe comes with one or two ingredients that are not the "regular" in my pantry, I either substitute or skip it - for example, instead of the Italian arborio rice, I use the jasmine rice from the nearby grocery store. And of course sometimes I have to add one or two new items into my shopping list in order to get it right.

After awhile, I have a handful of recipes that are "tested" in my kitchen and "reviewed" by my family. I, then, make a very general meal plan that uses this set of recipes as a combination; for example, the grilled chicken breast tied with French baguette, the bacon and egg breakfast come with the English muffin. I follow my flying mood everyday to cook whatever I want.

It should work as I wanted. But it didn't.

I would get the pork rib for grill but forgot about the marinate sauce. I would pick the beef chuck on sale but forgot to get the celery root to cook with. And writing down the ingredients again and again for every shopping trip is getting me crazy. The method needs to be refined.


The recipe input is a key solution for this. It basically uses the recipes in the account and makes the household grocery shopping list combined with all the ingredients from recipes of my choice. I could add the ingredients from the recipe directly to my weekly shopping list. And the items are organized by aisles and stores all together in one list.

Sounds good? Not good enough. How about the surprising sale item found in the grocery shopping trip? How can I make sure that I get everything needed to cook with? Well~ we added the recipe search in the mobile phone. When I see the sale in the grocery store, I search recipe box to add items into current shopping list.

Thinking of the fuel saving and the nice meal on the table, it is the best reward for being a Grocery Surfer!

No comments: